The entire block of Clinton Avenue between DeKalb and Willoughby Avenues is the most beautiful in Clinton Hill, thanks to four mansions built by members of the Pratt family, but this freestanding mansion is the grandest of all. It was the manor house of Charles Pratt, who made his fortune with an oil refinery in nearby Fort Greene. It had a daily output of more than 1,500 barrels of kerosene, which Pratt called Astral Oil, fueling the lamps of America. He sold the company to John D. Rockefeller in 1874, and became an executive of Rockefellers Standard Oil Company.
ST. JOSEPH’S COLLEGE NEW YORK Photo Gallery