The owners of local estates donated the money to build this Gothic Revival church and its interesting stone manse, but William E. Dodge, Jr., whose nearby villa was under construction at the time, also donated the architect. He had hired James Renwick, Jr., the
This section, known as Addisleigh Park, is an affluent black community. The neighborhood was established in 1892 after developers bought a large farm, laying out streets and building lots. This section was developed, overlooking the St. Albans Golf Club, in 1926. The golf course
This house, built by Colonel Roger Morris, was occupied at various times during the Revolution by George Washington and the British army. It became a tavern before it was bought by Stephen and Eliza Jumel, who lavishly decorated the house in the French Empire
Francis Lewis, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was a warden of this parish, established in the 1750s. This building replaced its original church, which had stood on the site for nearly a century.
This non-denominational school for future clergy is widely regarded as a center of liberal theology. Its faculty has included such well-known theologians as William Sloan Coffin and Reinhold Niebuhr, whose philosophies, which the latter described as â€œapplied Christianity,â€ reshaped Protestantism in the twentieth century.
The entire block of Clinton Avenue between DeKalb and Willoughby Avenues is the most beautiful in Clinton Hill, thanks to four mansions built by members of the Pratt family, but this freestanding mansion is the grandest of all. It was the manor house of
One of the tallest apartment houses in the Bronx, you can see this building for miles. It serves the community around Montefiore Medical Center, which moved to the northern Bronx from Manhattan in 1913. The facility was originally established by Jewish philanthropists and was
This mansion was built for Charles Millard Pratt. The semi-circular conservatory on the south side features a spectacular bronze lamp, which undoubtedly burned the elder Prattâ€™s â€œAstral Oil.â€ It is now used as the residence of Rt. Rev. Thomas Daily, Bishop of the Catholic
This was originally one of a group of buildings (it was designated number seven of twelve) all representing the earliest use of reinforced concrete construction. They were built by Robert Gair for his corrugated box business. It is now condominium apartments, serving as an
Although construction on this building was begun in 1912, because funding was slow in coming, it wasnâ€™t completed for almost thirty years. The original library, opened in Bedford, in 1897, had two separate reading rooms, one for men and one for women. This Main